I’ve never had more people ask me for a recipe after I post on instagram, so I’m going to write it up really quickly! But will finalize again so come back for it next time ❤
white miso paste
I used sweeter sake but I don’t think it really matters to be honest)
monkfruit (or sugar but monkfruit to be healthier)
black cod (skin on)
White Rice + soy sauce I like to drizzle soy sauce over my rice
Rice Vinegar (apple cider vinegar works too)
- In a small bowl, pour vinegar and monk fruit into a cup. Let the haikami sit before cooking.
- In a pot, prep the rice.
- In a separate pot, prep the miso soup.
- Prep the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a big bowl, add 2 – 2.5 spoonfuls of miso (this really depends on how strong your miso paste is; some taste weaker than others. It’s important you can gauge this though, so try to taste the paste!), 1-1.5 spoon of monk fruit sugar, and add 1 spoon of water. Mix into a paste. Add 1-2 spoonfuls of mirin. I like the taste of mirin a lot, but if you don’t then you can keep it to less because you’re going to use it again.
- Wash, debone and paper-towel the cod.
- Salt and pepper the cod.
- Drop the cod into the bowl— so usually, recipes for black cod call for 1-3 days of marinating. I can’t wait that long for anything ever since Amazon came around so this is a quicker version of that— and honestly, the taste isn’t even sacrificed one bit.
- Let the paste soak in to the cod for 30 minutes. Slather it on! And make the paste be evenly distributed, even through the skin, like seriously, beat it up with the paste lol.
- In a heated pan (low heat), add 5 spoons of sake, 5 spoons of mirin, and 1 spoon of water. The alcohol will burn and it will be glazey on the side. Add the miso paste (not the cod). Taste the marinade— add more mirin or monk fruit to taste.
- Add the cod, skin to the pan. Leave it on medium high for 3-5 minutes until the cod becomes more white.
- Put the entire skillet in the oven. For how long: so I had to keep checking it— I get paranoid I’ll burn things if I don’t. So I checked it at 5 mins, 10 mins; I’d say maybe around then it was done. Maybe 15? lol.
- In a separate skillet at high heat, flip the cod (skin up) so you can brown out the flesh a bit (it’s prettier this way). For like 1 minute most.
- Serve it with rice, the hakijami and the miso soup.